Thursday, March 30, 2006

Random Play

Not enough brainpower right now to stay coherent. My apologies in advance.

Was watching the new Mets network, SNY, since Brother Joe was on Daily News Live. Entertaining show, but the production values scream "new network." Hard cutaways, graphics sometimes covering a player's face during interviews, really shaky handheld camera work. It'll take some time for the dust to settle; I remember glitches when YES first hit the air.

As much as I understand many people's objections to the YES Network, SNY has a strange generic quality to it--the call letters sound like Fox Sports New York or Sports Channel New York. It'll be interesting to see the SNY develop a personality.

As for the subject matter of the show Brother Joe was on: thanks to Bud Selig, George Mitchell gets the unenviable task of sorting out the steroid story. Whether that means hunting down every player who shot up a testosterone derivative over the past seven, or ten, or fifteen years; or if it just means getting Barry Bonds, is anyone's question.

The posters for the new X-Men movie--y'know, the ones with Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry looking off into the distance, the ones that are plastered all over the transit system here in the Big Apple--look like ads for the H&M clothing stores.

I'm not sayin', I'm just...sayin'.

Under the file of "things I wish I could forget," I'm in the bathroom in my office building, and there's a guy in one of the stalls, doing his business and talking on the phone. Now, that's a matter of questionable etiquette right there, but after a second, it becomes evident that he's on the phone, setting up a job interview with a protential employer, while dropping a deuce.

I'm profoundly happy that I didn't know who was on that phone. Nonetheless, kinda curious--did he get that job? What kind of place keeps an interview appointment with a guy who's grunting through a phone call?

Word's coming through the grapevine that perhaps the Kris Benson/Anna Benson union might be on the rocks. If so, I hope that, no matter what the end result of the divorce, Kris keeps his Anna Benson Cy Young Incentive Plan.

Not that it was likely to happen, or anything. But we can all dream, can't we?

No comments: